Wednesday, June 27, 2012
I can't start looking again, I just can't. Please do it for me. Thanks.
Tuesday, June 19, 2012
Friday, June 15, 2012
in a faraway scene
sipping down raki
and reading Maynard Keynes
and I'm thinking about home
and all that means
and a place in the winter
Despite having agreed to an epidural I was kind of hoping that if I put it off for as long as possible I might get away without one, (because who doesn't love some prolonged agony?) but day shift melded into night shift and with it night shift brought a midwife who clearly hadn't read my birth plan, or if she had she was one of the ones we had heard about who thought that birth plans were utter nonsense. Either way, she wasn't interesting in my 'no pain relief' crap. And I couldn't care less. We might have been coming from completely different ends of the birthing philosophy spectrum but she delivered my first born, held my hand while my second child entered the world, stayed way past the end of her shift to be with me and left the labour ward that morning covered from head to toe in my blood. I can't imagine that in the rest of my life I will feel as close to many people as I did to that woman.
*photograph by A Desert Fete. The whole story is here.
Wednesday, June 13, 2012
- I will charge £200 to spend two hours with you either in your home or somewhere that you and your littles find fun (I'm more than happy to come to the park with you for instance. Or the zoo, I like the zoo!)
- I'm available to travel in and around Glasgow or to anywhere I can get to easily on the train from central Glasgow (travel expenses not included)
- I will give you the photos as high-resolution files, probably around 50, maybe more, maybe less.
- I get to use the photos to build a portfolio
- No funny business with baskets. (think of it as a playdate, except instead of a kid I bring a camera. Although I've got no shortage of kids, if you want me to bring one of those too.)
Monday, June 11, 2012
I want a garden. It's mostly the thought of the garden that fuels my dreams of London. And yes, I know, houses with gardens in London are expensive, we actually thought to check prices when we first started thinking about moving, so really, thank you, but you don't need to tell me again.
It was Nye's birthday recently, I bought him this and this. He wonders aloud about landscaping and fruit yields and crop rotation and whether we will need to hire a skip, I wonder how long wisteria will take to grow around the front door, which fruit trees have the most flowers and whether I want mixed poppies or just red ones. Together we will make a garden and it will be our haven.
Wednesday, June 06, 2012
Saturday, June 02, 2012
Friday, June 01, 2012
- You can sign petitions from Save The Children, Avaaz and Amnesty.
- You can blog about it, tweet about it or share the things you read on Facebook.
- You can RT tweets you see that use the hashtags #tippingpoint #syria #stopthekilling
- You can read more about the politics and facts known about the massacre in Houla, Syria here.
- On June 10th You can join the protest of mothers, parents, grandparents and children in London